CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Today was one of those days where you wake up and you're not in a very good mood. I can't really say what the reason is, it could be because I actually had to wake up before noon today, but whatever the case, something just wasn't sitting right. I was supposed to march in an anniversary parade with the kindergarten class that I teach. I walk to the school and on my way peoples stares and whistles were really getting to me. Most days I can blow them off as if they weren't there, but days like today I'm more sensitive to them. I don't feel like being the object of someone's whistle or suggestive gesture. I don't want to be stared at just because I'm obviously not Latina. It's days like this that really make me miss home. I showered before I went to the school and I realized I shouldn't have. Arica is so dirty. Every passing car seems to shower you with some sort of dirt or exhaust. Your shoes are never clean because everything is dirt or sand. What's more is that the city itself is like one big garbage dump. There's this huge, I guess you could call it a hole, where kids play soccer. I've seen people actually put their garbage bags next to it. The city workers go around with their brooms and sweep the dirt. Sweep the dirt? You know you're just moving it around right, you're not actually cleaning it. The idea of someone sweeping dirt or picking up any type of garbage in this city is ridiculous. I just miss Iowa's greeness and fresh air! I realize I am pretty much just complaining right now, I have to do it somewhere I guess. Well I need to go release some stress and go on a run. I'll just turn my music up really loud and keep my eyes forward to avoid the strange looks.

P.S. HOME IN T-31 DAYYYYSSS!!

0 comments: